Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"Quiet! A whale is in trouble. I have to go."

Yesterday for lunch I made myself a grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was delicious. Today I had to go to the grocery store and I decided to try Sainsbury's peanut butter instead of paying about 50 pence more for Skippy. We'll see how it goes. The Sainsbury's peanut butter came in a glass jar.

I cannot find Parmesan cheese. Well, that's a half-truth. I can find a small package of it for about 2 pounds. That is a price I am unwilling to pay. I just want some cheap Kraft shredded Parmesan to sprinkle over the enormous amounts of pasta I consume. I bought some "grated Italian hard cheese" but it smells and tastes slightly foul and looks like Comet.

Just like at home, it seems my life ends up being Adventures in . . . Grocery Shopping! And Sometimes Books!

So I am supposed to help make props for the University Hall production of Cabaret. I originally responded to the e-mail asking for volunteers thinking that it would be a good way to meet people. When I showed up for the meeting, however, I was early and I was merely handed a list of props to make. In retrospect I should have said, "No, thanks. It doesn't look like I'll be able to make any of this." But I felt bad, so of course I agreed. Now I have to make two 1920s passports, one American and one German, a 1920s pack of cigarettes, and a 1920s matchbox. If you have any ideas about how to make these items, please tell me. Probably this will involve dipping things in tea, which is my favorite arts and crafts project.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I dipped some tea in me, today. That is to say I drank it. It was Lady Gray, and I think perhaps the label is misleading for not only is she gray, but also delicious.