Sunday, February 17, 2008

Blerg.

On Saturday I took a day trip with about 50 other international students to Oxford and Blenheim Palace. It wasn't all I hoped it would be. It reminded me of chorus trips, but only in a bad way. When we were in Oxford I realized how much I hate being a hugely conspicuous tourist. I don't mind being a tourist and taking pictures and looking at maps and other tourist things. But I would like to do it without 15-50 other people. Also, my tour guide in Oxford was this German woman who spent 15 minutes explaining the Oxford system and then spent the rest of the time walking very fast and explaining little to nothing about the things we actually saw.

Blenheim Palace was pretty neat. As far as homes of rich people go, it was cooler than Cardiff Castle. Also, the family still lives in the palace in their private apartments, so that really upped the intrigue factor.

Overall I was slightly disappointed in the trip, especially since I paid 20 pounds to go. I'm signing up for the next day trip to Stonehenge, though, because I want to go there, but I don't feel like planning my own trip.

So this weekend was kind of a waste. Other than the trip I spent most of it watching Arrested Development and feeling shitty. I'm pretty homesick and depressed right now. Next weekend I am going to London for 2 days to see Ashley and Joe, so if I'm not out of my funk by then at least I can see two people from home and get about a hundred hugs.

1 comment:

spies said...

I am sending you mind hugs.