Thursday, March 27, 2008

Will the hostel have showers?

Hello from Naples!

So. Prague was one of the coolest places I have ever been. We stayed in a really excellent hostel called The Golden Sickle; we got free internet and free breakfast, and we met some really excellent people who were also staying there. I saw a lot of what I wanted to see, but there is so much to do that I definitely need to go back. I didn't end up defenestrating anyone, so that is a disappointment. I had a few Catholics at my disposal and I totally missed my chance. I did go up to the top of the astronomical clock tower and walked around the castle in the snow. I think my favorite day was probably Tuesday. We met some guys in our hostel who were going to Kutná Hora to see the 'bone church' (Sedlec Ossuary), so we decided to tag along. At the train station we met a few people who were attempting to get to the same place, so we ended up hanging out with them for the day. After the church we hung out in a random bar near the train station for awhile, playing music on the free jukebox and drinking pivo (Czech for beer!). That night I had the best Tex-Mex I've had since leaving the US at this place called Buffalo Bill's. A chorizo and rice burrito, and a Pepsi with free refills. 'Twas glorious. Pretty much everything I ate in Prague was delicious. Especially the beef ghoulash with dumplings. And all the sausage. The beer was good, too.

Oh, also. I tried absinthe while I was in Prague. It tastes like crap when you drink it straight, and I was, not surprisingly, take-off-my-pants drunk that night. But it was fun.

I was sad to leave Prague and my friends (and to miss out on Vienna and Budapest). In the Prague airport they were selling US Weekly for 200 crowns. That's around 13 dollars with the current exchange rate. I ultimately decided against purchasing, and just stood around for awhile reading about how stars are really just like us. I'm excited to be in Naples and to hang out with Greg. Greg had his conference today, so I was on my own. It was really gross and rainy, so I really only left the hotel to try and buy a watch (mine died in Prague) and to go get lunch. I also wandered around a little bit, but by 2 I felt very soggy so I've been in the hotel since. I watched The Simpsons and The O.C. in Italian for awhile, and then I fell asleep. Tomorrow I think we are going to hit up some museums and castles, and probably eat more pizza. It should be good times.

After Naples I'm heading to Munich to meet back up with my friend Tyler, and then I think we are heading to Amsterdam. I want to end up back in Bristol at least a few days before classes start up again, but we'll see how it goes.

Later, dudes.

No comments: