Monday, March 17, 2008

I don't believe in one-way streets. Not between people, and not while I'm driving.

I'm back from my weekend in Glasgow. Here's the rundown.

So to get to Glasgow I flew EasyJet, and I just figured out what it reminds me of. It was like the UK equivalent of Southwest. No food, herded like cattle, pick your own seats, good times for everyone. The flights were fine, though. I did some Sudokus and read the EasyJet magazine.

Glasgow itself was a pretty cool place. We went to the Kelvingrove Museum & Art Gallery, where I learned that the duck-billed platypus is venomous. Who knew? We rode the Glasgow subway, which is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. It runs in a circle; you either ride the inner loop or the outer loop. The trains are like, three cars long. It feels like riding the tram in Disney World or something. On Sunday we walked around the Glasgow Necropolis and saw Glasgow Cathedral, also known as St. Mungo's Cathedral. I think we all know why this pleases me. I would be interested to go to Church of Scotland services; I wonder what Presbyterianism is like over here.

Other than that stuff, though, we mainly just walked around. We saw some excellent gardens, where we played Poohsticks, and we saw the University of Strathclyde, which is where Ashley goes to school. We baked a chocolate cake, ate some pretty good pub food, made sweet tea (oh so very good), and watched Transformers. It was a nice weekend. I could find nowhere to buy postcards, however, so apologies to those people to whom I was going to send them. Even though you had and still have no idea who you are.

We also saw Horton Hears a Who! on Saturday night. Every time I want to go see a movie here, there is never anything out. Horton wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. I think A.O. Scott sums it up quite nicely: "What distinguishes 'Horton Hears a Who!' from the other recent Dr. Seuss film adaptations — 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' and 'The Cat in the Hat,' in case you need reminding — is that it is not one of the worst movies ever made."

Next weekend I am off to Prague for a few days and then I head to Naples to see Greg. This week I am going to be packing, reading, and eating all the food that's still left in my fridge.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, friends! Also, happy birthday to Liddy!

1 comment:

Detgen said...

The duck billed platypus is venomous? Who knew indeed.