Saturday, April 12, 2008

I am become a name; / For always roaming with a hungry heart / Much have I seen and known

What up, suckaz. I'm back in Bristol. Things here are the same, albeit sunnier. At least for today. Although they are sunnier in a purely weather related sense. My life really isn't any sunnier or cloudier than it was before I left. My forecast right now is probably cloudy with a chance of showers in the evening.

My last post was from Munich if I remember correctly, and I do. After Munich Tyler and I went to Bamberg. I highly recommend this city. We stayed in a really excellent hostel called Backpackers Bamberg where we met some cool people, and we drank some very delicious beer. Bamberg is situated in Oberfranken, which "has the highest rate of breweries per capita in the world" (Wikipedia). We also took a day trip to Nuremberg, and went to an awesome toy museum. I took a lot of pictures of doll houses and toy trains. Fun fact: LGB trains were first made in Nuremberg. But it was an American, Gregory Barlow, who was the first kid in the entire world to require his sisters to take a test before they could operate them.

After Bamberg we went to Cologne, and I wasn't really impressed. Our hostel was very smelly, which I guess is fitting given the city's name (get it??). It didn't smell good though. It smelled like dead babies and pee. Also mold. Yeah, I can't really remember much of what happened in Cologne. I think the best things that happened were I ate a Berliner (of 'ich bin ein' fame) and saw an advertisement for South Carolina in the window of a golf shop. The church was very huge, but our only full day there was a Sunday, so we didn't get a chance to go up the tower or anything.

From Cologne we headed to Amsterdam, which ended up being my favorite city of all. I did a lot of stuff in Amsterdam in addition to what you would expect. I really enjoyed the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum (even though 2/3 of it was closed). The Anne Frank house, and the Rembrandt House Museum were also cool, although a little pricey for such small exhibitions. Amsterdam was just a really amazing city. I can't really put my finger on why I liked it so much. It's beautiful, and the people are really nice, and everyone rides bicycles, and there are really good Belgian beer bars, and some things are legal, etc. But I feel like it was more than that. I felt very comfortable there; more so than in any of the other places I went. Anyway, it was good times. And I highly recommend you go there as soon as possible.

So now my trip is over. And my bank account has taken a severe hit. And I have little food in the pantry. And all my clothes are dirty. And I have two massive essays looming. But at least I have my own pillow again. And the memories. They are small comforts, but they'll do.

1 comment:

Detgen said...

Just so you know, that was a gem of a post. It made me laugh all over again!