Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! Aack!

Guys, I have not been this unproductive since I left the States. I am actually kind of proud of myself. I have managed to do pretty much absolutely nothing all day, and I don't even have a TV or a car. I guess I did go to the grocery store. And since I live in East Jesus, Bristol, that took some initiative. But other than that, nothing.

I think it's my laundry that's keeping me from doing work. I was so looking forward to clean clothes. After wearing each piece of clothing for much longer than socially acceptable during my trip, I was going to wash all my clothes and then spend a few minutes just jumping around in them. But of course my dorm's laundry room is closed for maintenance or something. I was instructed to use the dorm next door's laundry room, which I was told was located "behind our bike shed." Not only is that the worst instruction I've ever gotten, because the entire dorm is located behind our bike shed, but also I have looked really hard for this laundry room, and I don't think it exists. Sometimes I feel like everything in the UK is hidden. Maybe you have to be a wizard to see the laundry room. I really hope that's not the case, because that means my magical abilities are not just latent, they're nonexistent. And I can't deal with that at this point in my life.

So yeah, since I have no clean clothes, somehow that means I can't read, or clean my room, or do any of the other things I should be doing. I don't know; the rationalization makes sense to me.

I forget what the point of this post was. I really did have a point. Oh, right. It was bicycles. But honestly, you guys don't want to hear about it.

In other news, today I kind of explored the suburb I have been forced to live in. The street I ended up on was very pretty with a quaint hardware store and, not surprisingly for Bristol, a big hill. But the grocery store I was looking for ended up being a convenience store. So I bought a Fanta there. And then I walked to the Waitrose, which is ridiculously overpriced, but the walk there is shorter and doesn't involve a big hill like the walk to Sainsbury's.

Speaking of grocery shopping, they recently opened a Somerfield on Whiteladies, closer than the Sainsbury's but not as close as the Tesco Express. This is exciting, because now I can walk back from class on the left side of the road the entire time, even if I'm just stopping to buy milk or candy bars (Tesco is on the right). Tesco Express has really good scones, but it's not like I need to spend 40p on a scone anyway. Also, Somerfield actually has a pretty good produce section. Also, their tuna was good. In case you guys didn't know already, mostly my life consists of going to school, buying groceries, and... I guess drinking. Drinking would be the third thing I do. Also sleeping.

I apologize for this. This was an entirely self-indulgent post. I hope it brought you joy.

No comments: