Sunday, April 27, 2008

I can't talk now; I have to get my wallet out of the toaster.

And hello! Congratulations to you all, I have something new to report. Yesterday I did something new in Bristol. The place I live is near the Downs, so I romped around in the fresh air with a bunch of my friends. I saw the Clifton Suspension Bridge, I gave someone a shoulder ride involuntarily, I climbed up a huge, prickly semi-cliff face, and I was outside in just a t-shirt and I wasn't cold.

Once I buy or borrow a camera cord (I lost mine in Prague) I will put pictures on Facebook. That goes for pictures of the rest of my European excursion as well.

What else is going on? I read a good book this week. 'Twas The House of Sleep by Jonathan Coe. I'm doing all my reading for the coming weeks in what I've deemed a fit of legitimized procrastination. I'm doing something that will need to be done at some point, even if at this point my essays really should be top priority. Right now I'm reading On Beauty by Zadie Smith, and I'm enjoying it so far. Here's a passage I particularly enjoyed, since it sums up the weather in England so perfectly:

"In England letter-boxes do not jam with snow. Rarely does one see a squirrel tremble. It is not necessary to pick up a shovel in order to unearth your rubbish bins. This is because it is never really very cold in England. It is drizzly, and the wind will blow; hail happens, and there is a breed of Tuesday in January in which time creeps and no light comes and the air is full of water and nobody really loves anybody, but still a decent jumper and a waxen jacket lined with wool is sufficient for every weather England's got to give" (27).

I'm really looking forward to my month break after school lets out. I'm going to try to use the time to read the novels I brought with me from home.

Just to keep those of you who read this blog for grocery shopping observations happy, here's one. Did you know that the store-brand version of Weetabix is actually just as good as regular Weetabix? And cheaper? So keep that in mind the next time you're thinking of buying Weetabix at either Sainsbury's or Waitrose. I know I will!

K. Later.

P.S. Raisins are the best part of the trail mix; thank you to whomever agreed with me. Crispix was a close second, at least in my mind.

1 comment:

Detgen said...

Do you realize how cool it is that you can say something like "I lost my camera cord in Prague." As in:

What happened to your camera cord, Lindsey Barlow?

Oh, nm. I just lost it. In Prague. You know. Prague.